Even in this digital world, a quality resume is still essential to your job search. And in a competitive market, it’s important to stand out from other job seekers. Once you have the basics covered —your resume has a clean look, it’s passed your grammar and spell check, and clearly presents your skills and experience, it’s time to incorporate some of these tips to take it to the next level.
- Include Key Words – check the company website and LinkedIn profiles of others with similar job titles and job descriptions to ensure you’re including the right words. HR systems use key words to filter out resumes before a person even reviews applicant resumes, so this is a crucial first step.
- Take a Targeted Approach – Focus on an industry or a specific type of job so your resume tells a rich story that will resonate with the audience
- Add Social Media Profiles – Since resumes should be 1 page, including your LinkedIn profile is very helpful to recruiters as they can learn more about you. Of course, this assumes that your LinkedIn profile is as professional and current as your resume!
- Include Hyperlinks to Relevant Work – This is a great way to stand out if you have marketing materials you’ve created or a presentation on a relevant topic that you’d like to share. Only include hyperlinks in resumes that are emailed as it will be marked as spam in most HR databases.
- Send It to the Right Person – In addition to sending your resume to the address noted, do a little research on LinkedIn or Google to see if you can also find the hiring manager’s email address or contacts within the company that are a part of your network. You can never have too many connections!
- Create a Digital Friendly Version – Many HR systems do not like bullets, boldface type, indentions, unusual fonts, etc. Have one beautiful copy you use for emails and in-person interviews and a digital version you upload to HR databases.
- Make it Relevant – Tell employers what they want to know about you, not what you want to tell them about you.
- Include Your Passions – Make it authentic as this differentiates you from other applicants.