Case interviews are used by consulting, financial services, and an increasing number of other employers to evaluate an applicant’s problem solving, quantitative, analytical, and communication skills coupled with their professional demeanor in a high pressure timed environment.
Types of case interview questions:
- Market sizing, calculation, estimation, numerical
- Business operations
- Business strategy
- Brainteaser, puzzle, IQ questions
- Problem case
- Probing case
- Resume case (based on a company)
10 Tips for Case Interviews:
- Practice, practice, and practice again!
- Check your career center for mock case interviews and case prep sessions
- Research Glassdoor for typical case questions in the field and company you are interested in
- Review the companies website as many employers have practice case interviews on their site
- Review these resources;
- https://barnard.edu/sites/default/files/case_interview_handbook_2016_7_1.pdf, any content or videos by Victor Cheng are great!
- Be still and read the case carefully first
- Summarize the problem before you answer to check that you understand the problem correctly
- Take notes if the interviewer allows it
- Ask thoughtful questions to clarify points and use the answers to develop your solution
- Be confident and personable while working through and presenting the case